Summer skincare essentials – Skin Protection in Summer
Summer is one of the most suitable seasons for outdoor activities of the year. More sunshine means more time to go to the pool or beach. This is also our favorite time of the year to show our skins.
But while dreaming of golden trips to the beach (appropriate social distancing), hanging outs by the pool with fresh lemonade in your hand, you should also think about the ways to protect your skin from sunburn or skin irritation.
Under constant sun exposure, applying appropriate skin protection is extremely important. Fortunately, many useful summer skincare products can help you feel and show your best in summer.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means we may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you buy something we recommended. We only recommend products that we would or are using. Thank you for supporting us. Click here for more information.
Sun Safety Facts
Everyone knows that ultraviolet rays are harmful to the skin. Although after a few months of isolated life indoors, it may feel good to be in the sun, absorbing sunlight responsibly is important for your health and skin.
Most dermatologists (and Derm PA) recommend avoiding sun exposure between 10 am and 4 pm. Unfortunately, it is difficult to maintain this kind of discipline during the tempting summer.
Therefore, if you are passionate about the sun, it is best to make sure that you have everything you need to protect yourself and maintain healthy skin.
We’ve compiled a list of 10 summer skincare essentials you should consider before going out.
Summer Skincare Essentials
Sheer Zinc Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion
EltaMD UV Sport Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen
Redness Relief SPF 30 Mineral Moisturizer
Essential Glow Moisturizer SPF 30
Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50
Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer SPF20
Illuminating Moisturizer – Sun Glow by Glamglow
Lipscreen SPF 50
Glow Tonic To-Go
Importance of skin protection in summer
Staying safe in the sun is not just a matter of making your skin look youthful. Above all, excessive sun exposure can cause a variety of skin conditions, including skin cancer in severe cases.
Ultraviolet rays (UV) from the sun can damage the skin in just 15 minutes. The key is to understand the sun and know how to keep your skin healthy.
One of the easiest ways to protect your skin in the summer is: Sunscreen. However, most of us still forget to apply sunscreen. A recent study showed that only 14% of American men and 30% of American women regularly apply sunscreen on their faces and other exposed skin before going out for more than an hour.
Here are 10 tips to help you protect your skin in the summer:
- Apply sunscreen every day, even if it is cloudy.
- Apply at least one ounce of sunscreen (enough to fill a small glass) at least 15 to 30 minutes before going out. You can also use lip balm or lipstick that contains sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30.
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB radiation. Make sure it is waterproof and has an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours. If you are swimming or sweating, reapply every hour. Be careful of water and sand. These surfaces will reflect the harmful rays of the sun, which will increase your chances of sunburn.
- Limit the time you spend in the sun between 10:00 AM 4:00 PM. This is the time when the sun is strongest.
- Practice the shadow rule: if your shadow is shorter than you, then the sun’s rays will be stronger and you must find the shadow.
- If possible, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants. Dark clothes with tight fabrics block sunlight better than white or loose fabrics. For extra protection, look for clothes made of special sun protection materials.
- Pair it with a hat that covers the face, neck, and ears and a pair of sunglasses. Sunglasses with 99% to 100% UV absorption rate lenses provide the best protection for the eyes and surrounding skin.
- If you are taking medications that make you more sensitive to sunlight, please be more careful. These include certain types of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, antifungals, antihypertensive drugs, and chemotherapy.
Ensure that your skin is always in good health by making these skincare tips a part of your daily life. As a result, it will also improve your appearance. So, make the most of these summer skincare essentials and enjoy this season.
Pin for later